Tuesday, August 19, 2014

A Matter of Inches

I was driving down a dark road, music blaring, my favorite person next to me in the passenger seat. We were enjoying ourselves by the simple act of being together, sharing the same moment, ticking along; our clocks in sync. The half-moon bright in the sky, headlights illuminating the long road that lay in front of us as we drove, enjoying the evening. Everything was perfect and I looked into her eyes as she looked at mine, unspoken words exchanged between two humans at peace with each other and the world around them. I took her hand in mine, squeezed, and smiled as she returned the gesture, so simple yet profound.

The headlights approached, perpendicular to my own and moving way too fast. Her hand in mine, my eyes followed the other vehicle as it headed towards the intersection. We were about to intersect and I removed my foot from the gas pedal and hovered it over the brake. My car slowed. The other did not. The woman sitting next to me, who dwelt in my heart, the future mother of my children, was unaware; we were both caught in the moment, her warm skin enfolded in mine.

The car that was travelling too fast ran a stop-sign, the distinctive sequel of brakes (that unmistakable precursor) echoed as the car slid through the intersection , tires gripped the road in vain, dark skid marks left a trail of burnt rubber imprinted on the pavement. I too pressed my foot, halting the forward motion of my car just as his came to rest, my headlights mere feet from his face. He appeared startled, confused, disoriented, and slightly dazed. He stared for the briefest of moments, hit the gas again, spun his wheel, and drove away from me on the wrong side of the road. As his tail-lights diminished, I saw that his car was swerving all over the road and I prayed that no one would become a victim of this man's idiocy.

That's how quick your life can be forever altered. The whole incident was over in less than a minute. I was safe, the beautiful soul sitting next to me was safe.We would continue to travel, not only on the highway, but through life, hand in hand. Had the timing been off by a few seconds, his car would have plowed into mine, striking the vehicle right where she was sitting, the woman whose soul had captured mine. Who knows what would have happened. I don't even want to think about what could have been; the wrenching loss had she been taken from this world.

People often ask why I write what I do; why I find it necessary to place my characters on the knife's edge and twist. I suppose it provides a bit of catharsis, shining light into the dark in order to discover what is hidden behind the invisible curtain. That evening, I almost found out first-hand. Too many people do.  The page is safe, there is no real harm there, only suppositions. But real life can be a dangerous road on which to travel...and it's the only path available to us.

So tread with care because what lies behind the curtain may not be safe at all. It could change your life forever, or end it. I could have lost her through no fault of my own; she could have lost me. Or we both could have taken that final step together. But we didn't. And I am grateful. We landed on our feet and are still walking side by side and I am able to reach out and touch her as she touches me. My eyes are open. They scan the horizon searching for pitfalls and beauty and firm ground on which to stand where I can hold her hand, look into her eyes, and marvel at the wonder that lies within.

No comments:

Post a Comment